- WinDroid HTC One X Toolkit
- HTC One X (At least 50% charge)
- Windows XP - 8.1
- USB Cable
- Open the WinDroid HTC One X Toolkit, download and install all required files and drivers if necessary (You may need to restart your computer if you install the ADB Drivers).
- Turn your phone on, plug it in, and go to Settings -> Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging.
- Go to the ADB Commands tab and click on Get Devices. If you see your Serial Number listed, you are good to go. If you see nothing, repeat the last two steps, ensuring you have done everything correctly.
- Go back to the Setup tab and click the first button labeled Get Token ID in the Unlock Bootloader box. The first Command Prompt window will boot you into Bootloader. Once it has successfully booted, close that window and the next window should display your Token ID. You need everything from <<<< Indentifier Token Start >>>> to <<<< Indentifier Token End >>>>. Copy and save it for later use.
- Now that you have your Token ID, click on the button labeled Submit Token ID. This will take you to the HTCDev website here. Please login to your account or create and activate one with a valid email address. Once you have done that, go back to the HTCDev link, scroll to the bottom of the page, and paste the Token ID you retrieved and saved in the previous step. Click Submit, and wait for the email from HTC on the email you created the HTCDev account with.
- Once you have received the email from HTCDev, download the attached file in the email named unlock_code.bin. This is the unlock token that can unlock your, and only your, specific phone's Bootloader. Once it has successfully downloaded, click on the button named Unlock Bootloader. The first Command Prompt window will boot your phone into Bootloader. Once it has successfully booted, close that window. The next Command Prompt window will begin to flash the unlock_code.bin. A prompt will appear on your phone asking if you would like to unlock your Bootloader.
READ THE WARNING COMPLETELY! THIS WILL WIPE ALL OF THE DATA ON YOUR PHONE!
Tap on Agree, press the Volume Up button once, and press the Power button once to accept it. Your phone will now restart.
Congratulations! Your phone has been successfully unlocked! You can now proceed to flash a Custom Recovery, Custom ROM, Gain Root, or leave it how it is.
Flash Custom Recovery
- Now that you have successfully unlocked your Bootloader, move to the next box on the right named Flash Recovery.
- You are given 2 different options for Recoveries: TWRP and CWM. Please choose either TWRP or CWM. TWRP is recommended, but CWM works fine as well.
- Once you have made your choice, a Command Prompt window will open that will reboot your phone into Bootloader. Once it has successfully booted, close that window. The next Command Prompt window will flash the Custom Recovery you chose in the previous step. Your phone will now restart.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed a Custom Recovery! You can now proceed to flash a Custom ROM and Gain Root.
Flash Custom ROM
You may skip this step if you plan on staying with the Stock ROM and not flashing any other ROMs.
- The first thing you'll want to do is find a Custom ROM you would like to flash. There are plenty of choices out there, but make sure you choose one that works for your variant. International ROMs will not work on AT&T phones, and vice versa.
- Once you have fully downloaded the ROM you want to flash, find the Boot.img file. It should be in the main directory. Copy it and save it somewhere else for later use. Do not extract or unpack the ROM folder, and ensure that you didn't delete the Boot.img in the ROM folder itself.
- Navigate to the box in bottom left named Flash. Click on Flash ROM, choose Yes if you are ready, and choose the ROM ZIP you previously downloaded. The first Command Prompt window will push the ROM you chose to your phone. It may take a few minutes depending on the size of the ROM. Once it has finished pushing the ROM, close the window. The next window will boot your phone into Recovery. Once you have booted into Recovery, choose Install if you're using TWRP or install zip from sdcard if you're using CWM. Scroll down until you see the ROM ZIP you chose previously. Choose it, and flash it. Once it has finished flashing, go to the Reboot options within the Recovery, and reboot to Booloader.
You're halfway to a fully functioning ROM! Please continue on to Flash Custom Kernel (Boot.img).
Flash Custom Kernel (Boot.img)